All Content and Photos are the property of Lucky-Lizard-Ranch and may not be used without permission.

March 23, 2010

Things that go bump in the night...

So, at about 3 am every morning Cooper the Cute wakes Dave so he can go out and do dog things. Last night was no exception, his cuteness woke Dave, Max woke up and harumphed his way out with them, bound and determined to get his cookie too. At approximately 3:20 there arose such a clatter of barking and cow bellowing that it was nearly deafening. It sounded like the cow was screaming right outside our window, the dogs were definitely barking the Big Boy bark right outside the window. I groggily got up and went out to see what could be causing such a rukus. It was a bovine, an 1800 lb bovine! A longhorn bull was out by the barn (must have passed right by the window on his way there). He had a smaller steer friend with him, they were over by the fence checking out the cute girls in the pasture (Hattie and Daisy). By the time I went back in for Dave and we put on appropriate bull chasing clothing, the intruders were gone. I could hear in the distance the neighbor's dogs barking so I knew at least which direction they had gone in.
Back to sleep, for a little while--I let the dogs come back in to keep peace and quiet. (once they are awake and in the barking mood, ya know, sometimes they have to bark at bunnies, and things way out in the pasture).
Fast forward to 6 am, time to rise and shine for work! Let the dogs out, make the coffee, stumble about just slightly sleepy. The dogs immediately begin barking again, I know that bark...I look out and there are the visitors again! This time they are between our house and mom's house; please Mr. Bull don't put a horn thru her window! I say something to him (from the porch) that sounds like "Hey! Mr. Ugly! You don't belong here! Scat!" He raised his head, looked at me and began bucking and running toward the barn. Sheesh. I went back in to get ready, obviously he has an attitude and I was not going to convince him to go back from whence he came. The dogs continue to bark in their fevered pitch. They know he and his friend are not our cows!
Dave awakens and calls the sheriff's office, at t his point they are trampling the garden and eating whatever takes their fancy. I begin to really hate them and wish them ill. When I have to leave for work Mr. Ugly is standing in the driveway. He is freakishly huge. I am thankful my car is not red and does not look like a toy to him.
Update from Dave later--he got our girls to the farthest pasture, and got the visitors in a small pen. He said the bull would look sweet for a minute then start tossing his head and acting foolish. They are just not to be trusted or messed with. A constable found the owner who came to pick up his wanderers. Dave said he was apologetic, and promised it won't happen again. I am pretty sure Dave let him know that next time we will just make a trip to the butcher without calling him.
The bull looked like this, with a bigger hind end.

3 comments:

  1. What would have happened if your girls had been in heat???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! That makes for an adventure but not one I would wish on anyone! Hope the bull stays where he is suppose to be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No further sign of Mr. Ugly. whew!
    If Daisy had been in heat he would have crushed her and goodness know what all he would have torn down fence-wise getting to her. If Hattie had been in heat, she would have jumped over or broken out--cow hussy.

    ReplyDelete